11.16.2011

I need a do over....or maybe not....

Today was one of those days....when eveything goes the opposite way you want it to....I was at work at 6 am again...Trying to get things done. The 11th grade principal (who is my appraiser) said he was coming in to observe me sometime this week...so I just wanted to make sure I had everything ready...It all started with the calf...Generally when I need computers, I
check out the COW (compurte on wheels...basically a big cart with 20 laptops)...My librarian complained that we had this cart that had a bunch of I-touches that could be checked out, but nobody ever uses it...so I had the bright idea that I would teach absolute and comparative advantage (trade...just because you can produce it, doesn't mean you should)...kind of a dry topic...so after I explained it, they answered some questions, they would go back to cia.gov and look up countries they had recently reseached...I wanted them to find out what they import, export and who has trade surpluses and trade defecits...I went to check out the i-touches and she told me there were 19...she counted them in front of me...she then said she needed to scan them, to come back in about 20 minutes...I came back and got the cart (calf)..Well, this morning before the bell rang, I tried to open the cart (it had a number lock...and I had the number)..the only reason I went to check it out was that I forgot to charge my I-phone and realized I could use an I touch charger...well, the lock would not work...Christa tried the lock...my co-teacher tried the lock...I had to get the librarian to come over and open it...apparently you had to push up...who knew...So the bell rings to start the day and of course my appraiser comes in. I keep teaching. It wasn't the best lesson or most exciting, but it was better than average. I checked for understanding by using random notecard numbers. They worked in groups and my principal helped out one of the groups. I guess he taught economics when he was a teacher. He stayed about 25 minutes and then left...When it came time for the I-touches, many of them did not work (network thing)...About 5 minutes before, I told them to turn them in...I went to count and their were 18...I said, "please look and see if you have the extra one"...everyone just looked at me..I didn't know what to do...one was missing...I quickly called the AP and he said he would be up...he then told the kids, "ok, we adults will walk outside and if it magically turns up, all we be fine...otherwise, he will search them and if it is found, that person will be arrested." Meanwhile, a girl that I talked to during class outside about being bad when I was out Monday, was not there...she had suddenly asked to go to nurse the last few minutes of class...I wondered if she had it...We came back into the class and I counted...for some reason the number 9 was in my head..I counted 9 on each side and said I have it...the kids were in shock because they said, nobody put anything in...they left and my 12th grade principal had to send a school wide email to not count my kids tardy...he left...all was good...I then realized I only had 18...just like I counted originally....one was stolen...I freaked out...I was so scared of the librarian...I took the cart back and said I was done with it..I told her one was stolen...she was sooo nice...told me Please to not get upset...she would scan them in and figure out which one was gone and then write up a report. I then had to go email my 12th grade principal that it was stolen...then she called me a few minutes later to say that it wasn't stolen...she had only checked out 18 for me...REALLY....uh...so I had to email my principal AGAIN and tell him it wasn't stolen...When I saw him at lunch I tried to pretend to hide...he started laughing...he said, "it was stolen, then not stolen, and then stolen and then not stolen"...crazy...I learned a good lesson today. When I picked Isabella up, her teache was very impressed with her flower pictue...she was the only one who did hers sideways and she did not fill in the middle...very creative...

No comments: