1.05.2009

Go Longhorns.....and deep thoughts



Today is the Fiesta Bowl (UT is playing in it....I don't even know who they are playing)...In honor of this occasion I dressed little Isabella in her Longhorn dress (thanks grandma and grandpa Wilcox)....Christa and I went back to work today after the nice holiday break. The kids don't come back until tomorrow...Because we both teach a semester class, we both get all new seniors...(most of mine will go to her and vice versa)... Christa and I are on the DDI Cadre and presented 3 20 minute sessions to our fellow teachers. We worked really hard putting together the presentation. Trust me, it is much easier to be a spectator....with that being said, I thought I would go deep for this blog....

First, I want to be positive by saying I am truly grateful for my wonderful life. I have the best husband in the world, most beautiful daughter, and wonderful family and friends. I have a job I love and really have a fortunate life. One thing I am truly grateful for is the way I was raised. (thank you mom and dad!!!!)...I was raised to always be kind, respectful, and considerate....If your boss told you to do something, you did it....with a smile (even if you didn't want to) because maybe one day you will be boss....When people are giving a presentation (even if it is boring) you pay attention (or at least pretend to)....you don't pull out your cell phone and text, you do not pull out your laptop and surf the net....I know this sounds like I am rambling...but I just don't get how grown adults can have such a lack of respect for their boss and peers. I bring this up for 2 reasons. First, today went pretty well, but I could not get over how many teachers spent the entire in service (when our principal was presenting) talking or texting on their cell phones....it did not occur to them that it was very disruptive because A. it is rude and B. the rest of us could not hear as well. When Christa and I were presenting our "small piece" the first group was wonderful...I was very nervous...I even tripped...which was pretty embarrassing, but what can you do. We tried to make it fun and interesting. The second group of teachers left me in shock. Granted, not everyone behaved in a disrespectful manor, but to have teachers come in, roll their eyes at you, act (with their body language, comments) that you were wasting their time...Christa did a wonderful job and was the leader of the presentation, and did not seem to notice as much. I, on the other hand realized what was happening and could not believe it. How could grown adults, behave so rudely. A few of them were arguing and just being plain rude. I was appalled....So when the third group came in, I was dreading it. I thought for sure they would act the same way. To my grateful surprise they were wonderful!!!! They really got into the presentation (it actually was fun)...it made me so happy. I thanked them and told them that I was extremely grateful that they were such a good group...I also told them that some in the group before were not as nice...they couldn't believe. I then realized the sessions were just like teaching kids....the first and third went well because the people were so respectful...the second group had a few "bad apples" that just ruined it for everyone else...their negativity overshadowed the purpose of the presentation.

The other example of appalling adult behavior occurs on a routine basis in my graduate class. There are 10 of us who have taken the same classes for almost 2 years. There is one particular student...I will call her J...who routinely spends the entire class surfing the net while the teacher and classmates are presenting. Yet, when it is her turn to present, she expects our complete attention. I just don't get where these people come from....since when is it OK to act in such a way. I would never imagine being so disrespectful. Christa told me to not let it upset me because, you can't teach 30, 40, 50 year olds manners....but I say to that...I know I am not perfect, but if grown adults are modeling this behavior, how are our young people going to turn out....I guess when it is all said and done the only thing we can do it raise our own children with morals and values. I promise you when Isabella is 30 years old she will not pull out her cell phone and text or act rude to others....

sorry for the long rant.....I can not forget about the 99% of my WONDERFUL colleagues who were supportive.

No comments: