5.14.2012

Monday Madness...new ideas...

I had a revelation as I was driving into work...everyone in my family wants to get healthier and lose weight. My mom made me remove the picture I posted of her because she said she looked fat. Anyway, so I sent all my sisters and parents a text saying, enough is enough and we are going to have a contest. I researched it, and put together a proposal. I based a l
ot of it on a blog I found from 4 sisters who wanted to lose weight. As I was designing it, I knew most of it had to be about economics. So, I designed it this way...we will do a trial week and see how it goes. The idea is for everyone to eat one less dessert, drink one less alcoholic beverage, have one less cigarette. I wanted there to be a monetary incentive...something not too much, not too little...Guys always drop pounds fast, so it had to encompass other incentives....So here is the plan...I even created a blog. http://skellyfamilyhealthexperiment.blogspot.com Name _______________________ Date ___________________ If you decide to participate, email me the initial questions and then next Monday, email me your log...if you have any questions, feel free to ask me....Good luck!!! Rules...this is a 3 week weight challenge....every person will ante up 30.00 a week to the winner....even if you are not the winner, you will have lost at least a pound or two and may win the next week.... I will be the ring leader...you will share the information with me and I will send out updates that are not detailed, but give you some encouragement. If we are successful, we will continue. The competition will be a combination of actual weight loss and good behaviors. You can earn points by exercising, keeping a food diary, and by cutting back on bad habits. Purpose.... 3 weeks is not a long time but if you can lose 2 lbs (or more) per week...that is 6 pounds....at least a size....you will be thanking me... Here is what I know.....we have issues....we eat too much, drink too much, smoke too much....some of us are extremely unhealthy...some more than others...but we all would love to have some way to get to our goals....# Professionally, people respect you more if you take care of yourself...nobody in this family wants to have a phone call that someone in our clan has cancer, has a had a stroke, or heart attack or has passed away.... We can all judge each other, but ultimately we need to judge our self...it is not fair to lecture someone about one healthy habit when you have one yourself. We are all stressed out....all of us.... If you decide you don’t want to be a part of this 3 week experiment, my feelings will not be hurt....however, if you do....I think it could be great..I am going to start a blog about it...everyone will be given the password so they can add to it if they would like...this will hold us accountable.... In order for this experiment to be successful, you have to agree to the following rules: 1. You have to be honest with yourself...about your weight, bad habits and why you have them 2. You have to do things you don’t feel like doing....yes, we all want to drink margaritas, eat ice cream, and stay away from exercise....but reality is...we are not getting younger and all of us have people who are looking up to us....for me it is my children and my husband...for some of you it is your friends and grandkids... 3. You will keep a daily log and then send it to me Monday morning so I can tally points....send it to my corrin.wilcox@yahoo.com.... Current weight as of Monday May 14 _____________________ (you may keep this private, but must keep it on your own) Ultimately (longer than 3 weeks) my goal is to lose __________pounds. A realistic goal for me to lose in three weeks is _________pounds. How tall are you? How much should you weigh based on your age/height? When you picture yourself thin, what does it look like? What are your greatest fears about weight loss? Do you binge eat? If so, when? What does your exercise regime realistically look like now? What would you be willing to add to this regime? Do people ever make comments about your weight in a negative way? How does it make you feel? What food and drink is your weakness? What was your lowest weight in the past couple of years (or size)? What excites you most about reaching your target weight? What do you plan on spending on any of your earnings? What is your email? What is your home address in case you win week 1 and people need to send you there 30.00 checks? Basic information: We will have 1 weekly main competition (30.00) ________ I do not wish to participate ________I wish to participate Points: 1. Every pound lost ______20 points 2. Did not gain any pounds from previous week _____10 points...(starting week 2) 3. Choose a person participating and send them a daily email or text to say something about how your day went (2 points per day) 4. Water _____3 points per 8 oz glass 5. Did not eat after 7 pm and before 5 am ____ 5 points per day 6. Received at least 8 full hours of consecutive sleep ______ 5 points per day 7. Kept some type of food/drink journal (I recommend using the I-phone one) ___ 5 points per day, additional 5 points per day for keeping track of calories 8. Post something on the weight loss blog (words of encouragement, picture, something funny, etc) _____ 5 points per day (the website is http://skellyfamilyhealthexperiment.blogspot.com/ ...... go to blogpost.com and login...login is skellyfamilyhelathexperiment, and password is lindandgregg 9. Exercise ____ 10 points per half hour (can be walking, running, treadmill)...may not be planting flowers...even if you sweat! Deductions: 1. alcoholic beverages ________3 points per wine/spirits, 5 points for higher calorie 2. cigarette- _____ 3 points per cigarette 3. dessert- ______ 10 points 4. soda _____ 5 points 5. gained any weight (pound or pounds from previous week) _____ 20 points Week #1 Monday, 5/14 Tuesday, 5/15 Wednesday, 5/16 Thursday, 5/17 Friday, 5/18 Saturday 5/19 Sunday 5/20 Pound lost- 20 points per Contacted participating member via email/text- 2 points Water- 3 pts per 8 oz Did not eat after 7pm and before 5 am- 5 pts 8 hours consecutive sleep 5 points Journal/wrote down food/drink- 5 points Kept track of calories – 5 points Blogged on website- 5 points Exercise- 10 points per half hour Alcohol- subtract 3 points per glass of wine/spirits, 5 for higher calories beverages Cigarettes- deduct 3 points per cigarette Dessert- subtract 10 points

No comments: