4.03.2012

203 miles from Bastrop to Battleship Texas...Team Twisted Blister

Today is Tuesday and I am just having time to talk about this crazy weekend. It all started a few months ago when Christa and I were talked into running a 203 mile relay (Texas Indpendence Race) with 10 other girls. We volunteered Dave and Brad to be the drivers. My wonderful in laws drove in Friday to stay with the girls until Sunday. We drove to my friend Lora's
house and met all the girls....then we were off to Bastrop for dinner and sleep in a motel. After a cool dinner at a local diner, we headed to the Bastrop Civic center to pick up the packets...It was a huge party. We stayed for a little while and then headed to motel. It was so funny, Stephanie thought we had a certain room...it was a tad open so she kicked the door in, to open it...funny thing was that it wasn't one of our rooms...she promptly apologized. Christa, Brad, Dave, and I shared a room that had been beaten in...it had shoe marks and marks where someone pounded it in...the lock didn't even work properly. We woke up the next morning at 5 am so we could start the race at 6:02 am..we were the second team to start because we were slow. All 12 of us ran the first .38 miles and then I was up first to run the first 4 miles. The problem was that it was not clear whether I was supposed to turn right or left when I started....finally I figured it out and was off...I was glad to get my first leg over and not have to run again until 5 pm...things were good...we took turns running..poor Christa had a 5 mile run in the blazing heat...she thought she was going to die...When it was my turn to run, Dave ran with me...this was one of the hardest runs ever...it was 4 miles...the distance wasn't the problem, but the elevation....it was all up hill....we climbed over 200 feet...I would have not made it if Dave would not have been there....Around midnight we paid 5.00 and slept in a High School gym for about 2 hours...we then had to run...I ran 4 miles on the highway at 3 am...it wasn't too bad...way better than the elevation run. We were so grateful that the race went right by our house...literally on the road outside our neighborhood...so half of us went there first to shower and sleep a couple of hours and then the other half did the same. My in-laws were wonderful having all this chaos in the house...I was beat...it was Dave and I's 6th wedding anniversary. I begged him to take my last 3 miles around 3 pm...he was awesome and agreed...we got finished around 5 pm....Dave and I have been exhausted ever since!!!

No comments: