5.18.2014

A Boy Named Brownie


 
Recently the Social Security Administration released the most popular names of 2013.  Sophia was once again number one and Isabella was pretty close.  Finley was ranked 986 in 2005 and 290 in 2013.  I looked up my “unique” name Corrin and was told that it was not on the list. 
 
 


I have always had a love/hate relationship with my name.  I love that it is unique, but I hate that lots of people don’t pronounce it correctly the first time and that I feel my parents did not spell it correctly (no offense mom and dad). 



 

In order to make the list, there have to be at least five kids who were named that particular name in a year.  The ones at the top are always nice, cute, beautiful names.  What about the names at the bottom?  Here are some of the least popular names (these poor kids!) in 2012.

Jersei
Lunette
Money
Murray
Nessiah
Perpetua
Petal
Rosary
Rye
Thai


Moss
Munro
Newt
Osric
Pacer
Poe
Romance
Sabbath
Sabre
Zytaevius


 

 
Several economists have studied whether a name can impact a person’s success.  According to a popular book, Freakonomics, people who have ethnic sounding names are not called for an interview as much as people who have what are considered “normal” names.  I once taught a boy whose name was Brownie.  I wonder what happened to him?
 

If you want to learn more about your name, just google it.  Here is what I learned from wiki about the name Corrin:

Origin:  As a boy’s name, Corrin is of Irish origin, meaning “spear-bearer.” As a girl’s name, Corrin comes from the Greek name Kore, which means “maiden” or “hummingbird.”
Popularity: Hasn’t made the SS list in the past 100 years.
Facts:  In medicine, corrin refers to the cyclic system of four rings that forms the central structure of the 812 vitamin and other related compounds.
Namesakes:  Dune:  The Battle of Corrin is the third book in a trilogy.
Famous Persons: Penelope Corrin- A Canadian actress and writer around my own age.

 
What do you think?  Do you like your name?  Have you met someone that you felt sorry for them because of what their parents named them?

No comments: