Yesterday we were trying to figure out where we could go to celebrate my birthday. My friend told me that the wine bar Drix on Mason (have passed a million times) was trying to "rebrand" themselves to be more family/kid friendly. Dave mentioned that he saw the same thing on facebook. The idea sounded interesting, so we decided to try it out.
Here is my review:
We went on Wednesday around 5:30 pm. They are located in a parking lot (outside view is not the greatest) but having outside seating is a plus. I liked that my three small kids could come in. They immediately escorted us to the "kid" part where they had 2 tables right next to the "kid zone".
- The kid zone is AWESOME!!!!! It was large, had a couple of computers, a big flat screen tv, and a kid's playscape. They had a decent kid menu.
- The service was EXCELLENT!
- The menu had a lot of variety....lots of tappas type dishes, but also main courses.
- We could have been seated in a little more open area, but did not feel comfortable because our kids are so young.
- This would be a great place to come with friends and their kids (preferably a little older so we wouldn't be stuck in one of the 2 corner tables...we felt confined.)
- Beer on draft
- Wine was great!
- We liked "the potential"....there are a few tweaks that could make this place AWESOME!!!!
- The brunch looks AWESOME!!!
- The place was pretty empty (of course it was Wednesday and 5:30)
- The girls had fun in the play area, but we ended up just having a drink because we felt confined. It just wasn't fun for us...If we had another couple, different location in the restaurant, that would have made the difference.
- When I go to wine bars I like to order "wine flights"...they only had 2 and were out of one type of wine on each side. They need to offer more flights...people like to sample.
- Flights of beer would be awesome as well.
We think this place has great potential.....In a perfect world this place would be set up a little different where our kids could play, we could see them, but not be "confined to one of 2 tables"...maybe some live music (they probably have this already)...I feel like they need to get a few more "focus group" types of people to make the tweaks so that it is successful. I feel our issue was unique because we had a 5, 4, and 8 month old. Families with older children would find it much more comfortable. They could let their kids play and check on them every once in a while. I feel they need to keep advertising that it is a Wine Bar and Grill...families welcome, but people who don't want to deal with kids can still have a quiet area and enjoy a nice glass of wine.